These hot sauce stuffed bell peppers are perfectly spicy and deliciously satisfying! For this recipe we did not use meat, but these would also be delicious with the addition of cooked ground turkey or chicken.
Serving Size: 4 Servings
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water (or chicken stock if not vegetarian)
1 Tablespoon high heat oil (we use avocado)
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 red onion, diced
4 bell peppers, any color
1/2 cup dried black beans pre-soaked and cooked per instructions on bag or 1 (15 oz) can of black beans
1/2 cup corn (frozen, fresh, or can)
1/2 cup shredded Mexican style cheese or pepper jack, plus more for sprinkling on top if desired
1/3 cup salsa
~2 Tablespoons Hot Garlic Hot Sauce or Hot Green Hot Sauce (we went with Hot Garlic because of its higher spicy level, but if you are more of a Hot Green fan that is a delicious choice as well)
Spices to taste:
~2 teaspoons Cumin
~2 teaspoons Cayenne
~1 teaspoon Chili Powder
~2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
~1 teaspoon Onion Powder
Optional green onion for topping
– Bring quinoa and water (or stock) to a boil. Once boiling, decrease heat to maintain a simmer and cover for 20 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy and liquid is absorbed.
– Preheat oven to 400F.
– Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and sauté mushrooms and onion until onion in translucent (about 5-7 minutes). Place in large mixing bowl.
– Halve the bell peppers, remove the core and seeds, and lightly brush the peppers with oil. Place in a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish or on a baking sheet.
– Add cooked quinoa to mixing bowl with mushrooms and onion. Add black beans, corn, cheese, salsa, Hot Garlic or Hot Green, and spices. Mix to combine. Add more spices or hot sauce as desired to taste.
– Stuff bell peppers evenly with the mixture. Sprinkle with cheese if desired and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes covered, remove foil and bake for 20 more minutes.
– Add any desired toppings. We used chopped green onion and, of course, a little more Hot Sauce Nashville hot sauce!
Guacamole and chips pair wonderfully with these stuffed bell peppers!